Unit Audio Owners Talk About Their Experience With Our Mixers
- This great post from Hardtoe, a new Unit Audio mixer user on Gearslutz.com. By the way , I have done a few mixes with the Micro Unit and I am finding a big improvement in the depth, width and punch (transient definition) of the soundstage. I am using a TC Rooster for makeup gain, into a Drawmer 68, and I used to use this same combo on the 2buss when I summed ITB. This means I have a very observable/familiar way of comparing the impact of the summing alone. Let me tell you - this is one of the best $200 I have spent in years for a jump in quality. Everything is clearer and more defined in the mix (especially when using the analog mono for centered parts - who knew it made such a difference?). I am actually on a bit of a learning curve, as I have to step up my mixing a bit now that things are more 3-D - it's more revealing, so I can (and need to) really focus in on the nuances of individual parts.
You can read the rest of this thread on gearslutz ...here
- I am running a ruff mix(near finshed) stem through it at the moment, run a sinus wave sweeping through the little beauty 5hz to 20,000 hrz for hr first and have printed a few copy's of the ruff mix to listen too with adjustments to gain stages. I am going to run white noise through for hr now and print another copy of the ruff mix. I have to say I am impressed so far and think I will continue to be so. Thanks for a great bit of hardware kit ;)
- Terry, Thank you so much for your help, once again it is so nice to speak with someone who is there to help. I think we have a good work around by monitoring directly from the preamps instead of pro tools. I still can't believe how much space my mix got from just summing 8 channels.
- Hi Terry,
Thanks for processing the order right away!
I had the opportunity to do some testing with a friend here in Regina that ordered the same unit (you have his feedback on your site - 'Hardtoe'). We were both quite amazed at the tests. I am in the process of recording my album and had a couple nearly finished tracks that I broke into stems and brought to his studio. Being recorded on a budget MOTU 896mk3, I did not have the highest expectations. It turned out that the difference was totally perceptible and desirable. We did a few iterations --> Motu, RNP and Culture Vulture; and with vocals analogue and digital mono'd. Huge difference between the ITB and all other iterations and again a moderately significant improvement with the analogue mono. All this was perceptible through Rokit monitors.
Being a HiFi enthusiast, the changes are invaluable. Opening up a mix and achieving clear separation has always been so hard to achieve in my recordings. The changes become even more perceivable on my B&W listening station at home....so much so, that my enthusiasm while a/b'ing the test mixdowns cause me to loose sight of my ottoman as I was running back and forth from my computer to the stereo. I ended up cloaths-lining myself over the ottoman, ending up flat on the floor with bruised ribs (doh!)....but even as I lay there (after doing a broken bones check) I was kept in good spirits from the exciting results.
Also, great job on the build quality and keeping it all in such a nice sized package! Being a tinkerer, I was tempted to build one myself, but found it hard to beat your product for the price.
- Just got it an installed ... oh my god ... Thanks, really thanks a lot. Just ran through it a mix that was summed in protools ... no edit nothing .. and it just breathes more and more dynamic range. I have been dreaming of being able to do this for an affordable price .. and you made it possible.Thanks, I will spread your name here in the UK. Keep me posted if you build other smart things like this!!!
- Dr. Colombo PhD
- it really does a great job at adding a little bit wider sound stage .. but when I added in some ob stuff I fell in love ..also the Apollo pres are excellent for reamping ..linking1-2 and strapping on some uad is a plus
- wow! loving the micro! right now my signal flow is as follows
1 dbx 160
2 neve portico (just eq) out to distressor
3,4 5,6 7,8 out to linked pairs on my acp88
out to Apollo quad ch1,2 linked with alittle Harrison and pultic.. using both just for frequencies that each does best
my mixes are sounding big fat and 3d!
I have to be carefull to not mix too wide
- I picked up a Micro Unit and I'm loving it